Event Phone: 608-890-9957
- Get on the Bus: Explore the Good Work Happening in Milwaukee Neighborhoods!
August 28, 2019
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
WPN is proud to offer a 2019 Funder Neighborhood Bus Tour. The tour will include stops at nonprofits on the south side of Milwaukee, showcasing their programs in action.
Our objectives include demonstrating the vibrancy of the neighborhood, enhancing knowledge of successful community initiatives, gaining awareness of pressing neighborhood challenges, and increasing understanding of unique neighborhood assets.
10:00 a.m.: Introduction at Greater Milwaukee Foundation
10:05 a.m.: Depart - Establish the roots of Milwaukee’s South Side
10:20 a.m.: Arrive at Menomonee Valley Urban Ecology Center & friends
Quick presentations from partners in the Pierce Street cluster:
- Menomonee Valley Urban Ecology Center
- Escuela Verde
- Artists Working in Education
- Layton Boulevard West Neighbors
11:05 a.m.: Depart - Discussion of Near South Side as “Ellis Island”
11:15 a.m.: Arrive at United Community Center
- Tour of Latino Arts Gallery from Jacobo Lovo
- Lunch at Cafe El Sol
- Tour of UCC (athletic facilities, Bruce Guadalupe, elder facilities)
12:30 p.m.: Depart - Mini-tour of Mitchell Street and discussion of commercial spaces
12:45 p.m.: Arrive at Mitchell Street Library
- Quick tour of the newest Milwaukee Public Library
- Stop by maker space and hear from artist-in-residence (Celeste Contreras)
1:00 p.m.: Depart
1:05 p.m.: Arrive at Milwaukee Christian Center mural
- Meet with team from Building Neighborhood Capacity Program and mural to discuss process and commitment
- Discuss other work Milwaukee Christian Center is doing in the neighborhood
1:25 p.m.: Depart - Mini-tour of Walker’s Point
1:35 p.m.: Arrive at Harbor District
- Overview of the project — what’s been accomplished and what’s coming
- How has the project worked to remain connected to the community?
1:50 p.m.: Depart - Wrap-up and concluding remarks
2:00 p.m.: Arrive at Greater Milwaukee Foundation
Bus Pick-Up: Bus will pick up at overflow lot highlighted on Map.
Parking: Please park in the Schlitz Overflow Lot. The over flow lot is between 1st and 2nd on Pleasant, across Pleasant from GMF and across 2nd from United Way.
Funders Only. WPN Members and Prospective Members Welcome.
Contact Amanda Buckley, Director of Program Development, or call her directly at 262.317.6005.
Venue: See Event Logistics