2018 Wisconsin Gives Report
Capturing the Impact of Philanthropy
As Wisconsin’s premier resource for philanthropy, Wisconsin Philanthropy Network (WPN) is committed to ensuring that Wisconsin funders remain informed of current local, regional, national and international trends, sample metrics and benchmarks, best practices, and other data and research.
As our signature publication, the Wisconsin Gives Report plays an important role in advancing our mission to promote effective philanthropy in our state. Ultimately, it reflects our commitment to providing you, as a WPN member, with the tools needed to maximize the overall impact of your generous support.
This biennial report’s goal is to provide our statewide network of philanthropic partners, as well as other stakeholders, usable data and in-depth information on national and regional philanthropic trends, while deepening the understanding of Wisconsin philanthropy. It compiles information from numerous national studies and sources, and is supported by data collected from WPN’s survey of Wisconsin grantmakers. The survey sought feedback on topics such as the type and level of support awarded, projections for the upcoming year, and funders’ perception of the overall health of Wisconsin’s nonprofit sector.
- Total estimated charitable giving in the United States rose 5.2% between 2016 and 2017 (3.0%, adjusted for inflation), to $410.02 billion.
- Fifty-six percent of WPN survey respondents plan on increasing their grantmaking in 2018.
- Twenty-six percent of WPN survey respondents are increasing general operating supporting.
- Seventy-eight percent of WPN survey respondents are increasing partnerships or collaborations.
- Nationally, giving by corporations increased 8.0% to a total of $20.77 billion.
Check out a clip of Tony Shields, President and CEO, and Caty Bulgrin, Director of Operations & Research speak to WUWM
on Wisconsin Public Radio about Wisconsin philanthropy and the Wisconsin Gives Report
Data for the report was gathered from the following sources:
- CFInsights Columbus Survey
- Giving USA 2018 by the Giving USA Foundation™
- Foundations in Wisconsin: A Directory by the Funding Information Center, Marquette University
- Giving in Numbers: 2017 Edition by the Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy
- Independent Sector
- 2017 Donor-Advised Fund Report by the National Philanthropic Trust
- 2017 Annual Report on Grantmaking
- 2018 Annual Report on Private Foundations
- National Center for Family Philanthropy
- The Greater Give
- The Opportunity Index