Policy Work & Philanthropy Training Series
Stepping Up to the Public Policy Plate...If you're not at the table, you're on the menu
The Importance and Rules Surrounding Policy Work & Philanthropy
DFW’s Policy Works Committee invites staff and trustees of grantmaking organizations to join them for a discussion of the basics of advocacy and grantmaking. Whether your foundation has an interest in education, poverty, health, economic/ community development or the environment, this is an opportunity to learn more about advocacy and how public policy work can help you accomplish your mission.
Join colleagues to learn how and why foundations engage in advocacy, and the scope and extent of permissible activities. This interactive session will define advocacy and illustrate its importance and relevance to foundations; discuss advocacy grantmaking; explore the challenges and constraints; and, address questions such as:
- What is advocacy?
- Why is advocacy important to furthering your foundation’s work?
- What’s legal and what’s not?
- Can your foundation take a stance on a piece of legislation? Should you?
- How can funders support grantees that engage in advocacy?
- The Importance and Rules Surrounding Policy Work & Philanthropy
Presentation by Abby Levine, Legal Director, Advocacy Programs, Alliance for Justice, November 11, 2011
- Wisconsin’s Lobbying Law
Presentation by Jonathon Becker, Administrator, Division of Ethics and Accountability for the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board
- Private Foundations and Public Advocacy
Handout prepared by Marsha E. Huff, Foley & Lardner LLP (retired)/ Helen Bader Foundation
- Lobbying Rules for Public Foundations
- Private Foundations May Advocate!
Alliance for Justice advocacy advisory for private foundation grantmakers about advocacy rules.
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board
- Wisconsin Eye on Lobbying
- Influencing Public Policy in The Digital Age
AFJ publication addressing questions about advocacy in the new environment of dynamic digital communication.
- Words to Give By: Leading Voices in Advocacy Funding